Coconut Cream Cake
½ (125 mL) cups butter, softened
1 1/3 cups (325 mL) granulated sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
2 1/3 cups (575 mL) sifted cake and pastry flour
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
2/3 cup (150 mL) milk
Coconut Pastry Cream:
2 cups (500 mL) milk
½ cup (125 mL) sugar
¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
4 tsp (20 mL) butter
½ tsp (2 mL) coconut extract
1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut
½ cup (125 mL) butter, softened
2 ½ cups (625 mL) icing sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) whipping cream
1 cup (250 mL) coconut
- Grease 2 8 inch (1.5 L) quare or round (1.2 L) metal cake pans.
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In large bowl beat butter and eggs until fluffy
- Beat in eggs, one at a time
- Beat in vanilla
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt
- Add to nutter mixture, Alternating dry ingredients with milk (3 dry, 2 milk)
- When well mixed, divide evenly between two pans
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let stand for ten minutes on racks
- Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely.
Coconut Pastry Cream:
- Heat milk in a saucepan until bubbles form around the edge.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until smooth
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Return to saucepan and cook over meadium heat, whisking just until bubbly, about five minutes
- Reduce heat and simmer gently, whisking until thick enough to mound on spoon (about 2 minutes)
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, coconut extract and coconut
- Scrape into bowl; place plastic wrap on surface and refrigerate until firm (about three hours)
- In bowl, beat butter until fluffy
- Alternately beat in sugar and cream, making three additions of sugar and two of cream
- Stir in coconut
- Cut cakes in half horizontally (creating four layers)
- Place one bottom half on cake plate and spread with 1/3 of the pastry cream
- Top with one top half, spread with ½ of the remaining pastry cream
- Top with remaining top half and spread with remaining pastry cream
- Top with remaining bottom half, bottom side up.
- Spread a thin layer of icing over top and side of cake to mask.
- Refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes)
- Spread with remaining icing.
- Makes 16 servings, about 425 calories per serving.
- Adapted from May 2004 issue of Canadian Living
Printer friendly page